I rolled out of bed at about 06:15 (overslept a bit) and turned on the Weather Channel on TV and booted up the computer to make this morning’s post. (Then while everything’s getting cranked up I usually attend to some , well, “personal business”). So I’m in the forward head and Al is talking about an earthquake in Japan and a series of 13 feet tsunamis that are about to hit Hawaii. Is this a “War of the Worlds” type prank broadcast, or movie I accidentally recorded on the DVR overnight or the end of the Earth? What a way to wake up!
Based on earthquakes, tsunamis, and flooding happening elsewhere in the world, we are doing GREAT!!!!! It is a bit chilly this morning, about 60º. I realize that doesn’t sound especially cool to most of you, but it was 85º yesterday afternoon. It’s also breezy so that makes it feel even worse. We had one Coral Reef crew on the water yesterday but S/V Misty Shoals returned to the dock about three minutes before the front hit. At 12:47 we had gale force winds of 38 knots. S/V Excalibur and S/V Juan Cadiz were out, not on Scouting trips. They got caught in the storm and had to drop anchor and hang on. By 16:00 the wind had eased substantially and the rain was gone. Unfortunately, the wind picked up overnight and I was awakened a couple of times from the boat being jerked about in the slip.
Justin Cardiff and Jessica Arms have arrived to join our spring scuba staff. Rich Goldman is scheduled to arrive this evening but I heard a rumor that he snuck in last night. I’ll find out at our 07:30 minute (about an hour from now).
Speaking of meeting, I have to get in gear. I hope to have a meeting with Captain Paul Beal this morning to discuss how we are going to function now that the fiber optic cables delivering computer access to the Program Office (aka Registration Office) have been damaged while they were being re-routed yesterday. We have no access to files, schedules, calendars or emails. Some of us do have access to email and weather (internet) via iPhone. I am trying to stay optimistic and hope that we will get this fixed today, but the reality is we could be down over the weekend and beyond. This could have a major impact on Ellen’s processing of the summer scuba medicals and crew check-ins. We have no one on staff who knows anything about repairing fiber optic cable. Our IT people are 1,500 miles away in Dallas. It’s not as bad as an earthquake or tsunami, but it is an aggravation. As Fort Worth Police Detective TJ Doyle frequently reminded me in my life prior to Sea Base, “hope for the best but prepare for the worst”. I’m thinking that the “worse” would be they can’t fix the cables for several weeks. In that case the “best” would be to load up the boat and go sailing in the Bahamas while we wait. Not a bad plan. I wonder if I can sell it to Capt. Paul.
Aboard S/V Escape